19 August 2010

delayed pleasure




There is
contentment
in standing at the kitchen sink,
pausing, 
soapy scrubby brush in one hand,
wine glass from last night's party in the other.

Last night, I didn't do the dishes right away,
as soon as the lock clicked on my red door and
I was alone again.

Last night, I went to bed right away,
looking forward to
this moment in the early morning
standing at the kitchen sink:
delayed pleasure, yes, please.

Wet hands move without thinking,
diving again into the water to find a fork.

I clean by touch and
look out the kitchen window

at how the rising sun changes
the color of the grass
ever so slightly
every few minutes

at a squirrel scurrying
around and up a tree.
Now in sunlight.  Now in shade.
Now

there is
contentment
in a routine task
in bringing order
in finding a place
for the skillet on the drying rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails