01 April 2011

jane eyre: reader, i married him




Tonight, I'm going to see the new Jane Eyre, and the weather is behaving appropriately: it is gray and windy and cold.

It is easy to pretend I'm on a moor with a brooding Rochester.

This seems like an ideal time to say: Jane Eyre was my favorite book when I was 12. I read it and instantly connected with her, which is odd because I'm not an unloved orphan nor do I live in England nor had I ever seen a moor.

{Later, when I saw Othello, I got a little confused by that use of the word moor, and I had this perplexed period where I was convinced Othello took place on some windswept hill in England.}

But oh, how thrilled I was when Jane said, "Reader, I married him," and as a 12-year-old, I started imagining my own Byronic romance, although I had no idea what that would be and I was apparently ignoring the part where Rochester had a crazy wife kept in the attic.

A final confession: I didn't know how to pronounce Eyre when I first read Jane Eyre, so in my head, I said "Eye-ree."

Sort of like India.Arie but on a moor {perhaps with Othello}.

Clearly, I was a confused 12-year-old. Maybe this movie will straighten me out or maybe it'll re-start that longing for a Byronic romance.

{Oh my, I hope it doesn't.}



2 comments:

  1. I hope the longing doesn't come back. Did you read Wide Sargasso Sea? I'm sure you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Wide Sargasso Sea. Actually, I had to teach it when I was working in France, and wow, those French kids had some amazing literary analysis skills in their second language.

    I'm re-reading Jane Eyre, so maybe I'll complement it with a little of the Sargasso Sea.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails